Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Travis and Jesus!

Travis Gary is now 2 months old! Happy Birthday little Bug!

HOMELIFE: It's been hard to get enough time for a proper update these days with little Bug being home and trying to get everything done around the house after being gone so long. We are slowly getting the hang of having our little boy home. For the most part...he is pretty easy. He generally sleeps well and calms down quickly when he gets fussy. He usually is just fussy when he is hungry or wants his pacifier. He's addicted to his orange pacifiers! We have a bassinet next to our bed in the room and he sleeps there (as he will until he is probably 18 :). We have not yet gotten into a "routine" yet but when we were sent home from the hospital we were on a 3 hour feeding schedule that we have been sticking with until recently. Because Travis is so small we have to feed him a lot. We can not let him sleep through the night...even if he wanted to. The hard part about getting into an official routine is that we are uncomfortable leaving him alone AND we have to hook him up to the, when we put him to bed we have to go upstairs too. So, we generally let him sleep downstairs with us until around midnight then we go up to sleep. The monitor has proved to be a comfort and a pain in the ass all at the same time. If you don't get it in the exact right spot on his hand it will randomly start beeping in the middle of the night. It will read his heartrate or SAT level incorrectly and show it really low and then bounce back up to the normal rate. As you can imagine, being woken up by this is unnerving to say the least. We plan to talk to the doctor on Monday about the accuracy of it because it seems really off. We finally have his medications down pat. We got a ton of syringes at the pharmacy and a plastic box with drawers. Now, once a week I will draw up the doses of meds in advance and put the in the box. Having the meds pre dosed out makes the days a lot easier! We also found a vitamin that is not as horrendous as the last one. Travis likes it much better. He still HATES the prilosec but it is working so we are sticking with it!

APPOINTMENTS: We went to see Travis' cardiologist in our first outpatient appointment on the 18th. He checked Travis out and wieghed him. Things looked good and Travis had gained 3oz since he was discharged on the 14th! We also had an appointment with his regular pediatrician for his two month checkup on Christmas Eve. We were hoping that this pediatrician would be knowledgeable and up to date on Travis' condition. We had not yet met him because all of his care was immediately transferred to Children's hospital the day of his birth. Now that he is out of the hospital, day to day care goes back to Kaiser. The pediatrician was up-to-date and he seemed great. The best news was Travis has gained another 3 oz making his weight 8lbs 9oz. Although he is gaining at a good rate for him he is still only in the 2nd percentile for his weight. Our little man! However, because the weight gain is going well the pediatrician said we can go 4 hours at night between feedings. His length is now 21 inches. Travis also got his 2 month series of shots at our visit...which probably was not a good idea as he was MISERABLE and fussy Christmas Eve night and all day on Christmas :( We have another appointment with the cardiologist on Monday.

CHRISTMAS: We really did things simple this Christmas as we had neither the money nor the time to properly shop for the family. Also, because Travis can't be around a lot of people we toned down our celebrations as well. Christmas Eve was spent with Nana Sue, Auntie Tina and Auntie Deb at our house. We made a lasagna and exchanged a few little gifts. Travis of course was spoiled silly and is set with toys for awhile. Unfortunately, Mr. Grumpy Pants (Travis) slept through the gift giving because he was so miserable from the shots earlier in the day we had to give him Tylenol. Good thing we had family to help calm him and snuggle him all evening. After the family went home Roger and I tried to go to bed but Travis was super fussy all night and was up every hour and a half. Poor little guy! Poor us! Christmas day was spent with the DiCarlo family. We had a nice lunch and visited with Travis Great Grandma. Travis got some nice gifts from that side of the family too. He was not as fussy as the day before but he still was not himself. We decided to head to Vista to watch the Charger game with Nana but realized we were out of one of the meds so instead Roger had to take a trip to the pharmacy in Riverside. Travis and I cuddled and relaxed on the couch. Thankfully, Travis slept better last night too!

We got an update from one of the other families we met at the RMH and they were told they could go back to Hawaii on Christmas eve only to be told that they couldn't a few days later because their baby needs to get a Gtube put in first to help him eat. Please add baby Jaziah to your prayers. They have been through so much!! So, although we were super sleep deprived for our holiday, we had to remember we have SO much to be thankful for. Our little baby is safe at home and thriving! Happy holidays to you all and we pray your new year will be a fabulous one!

No comments:

Post a Comment