Tuesday, November 3, 2009

1/3/2009 Update

The news of the day is that Travis' infection will need at least 5 more days of antibiotics. What that means for his surgery and everything else is that we wait. We have to wait for the drugs to work and get rid of the infection. This unfortunately is the way it goes and there is nothing we can do about it. They seem like they are not worried about it and I guess we should not be either. The P.A. Band procedure that they performed on him last week buys them as much time as they need to perform the Norwood. In the meantime, Travis is learning how to eat from a bottle and do things non-hospitalized babies do. He is also getting a little bigger weighing in today at 6 pounds 11 ounces. Nicole gave him his first bath today and also got to feed him. I got the chance to feed him tonight, but he was so comfy that he slept through it. One of the other nurses had to come over and wake him up and force him to eat. I am definitely too scared to be jostling him around like she did. He has so a lot of tubes still in him that scare me a lot. As far now we are just waiting for Travis to fight off the infection and get stronger so he can get to the next step in his journey.

Take care,

Roger and Nicole

3 comments:

  1. He's growing & learning to drink from a bottle, that's wonderful. Now to beat that nasty infection. Tell him Grdma wants the name of that nurse....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, Nicole and Travis:

    Thanks for the frequent updates. I think of you all everyday. Travis looks strong and content. You have a fighter. Can't wait to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he is doing well. Isn't amazing how rough the nurses can be with babies?? I would be nervous if I was you too. Yesterday my 10-month old had climbed up on a box with an old cable box in it that needed to be sent back to Cox. The top was only about 5 inches off the ground and he was just having fun banging on it. My mom told me I should take him off because he might fall. I said that if he would fall he wouldn't get hurt and he would learn something. I never thought I would be a laid back mom. He didn't fall... he got off the box just fine on his own... but grandma was ready to take him home with her so crazy mommy wouldn't let Dean fall off the box!!!

    Some day your little man will be strong and climbing boxes and stairs... Well for now I guess we should just let him fight his bad bugs and get ready for the next surgery. Babies are much stronger than we think.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete