Nicole and I are trying to figure out the best course of action for our Baby Travis. We decided to research San Diego Children's Hospital because of several reasons. One is the proximity to all of our family. Our support system will be very important through this whole journey. Second, we like that Travis will be staying at San Diego Children's Hospital the entire time of his stay. He will not be transferred back to Kaiser after two weeks, he will be kept at Childrens until he is ready to go home. This seems to me the best course of action, because Childrens specializes in babies with special needs. We also just get a better feel for the people at Children's San Diego and their willingness to help us through the process.
The first step in possibly making the transition to San Diego was our meeting with the Director of Cardiac Surgery Dr. Lamberti. We went down to meet with him this past Monday and he is an incredible surgeon who actually performed heart surgery on my brother Ryan 25 years ago. Nicole and I liked what he had to say and his willingness to answer all of our questions. After meeting with him, we were convinced that he would be the surgeon that would perform the first part of Travis' surgery. Unfortunately, he might not be around when we need him to perform the surgery. He works at the Children's Hospital in Hawaii for some of the months of the year and this could be a problem. This throws a little monkey wrench into our plans. We just have not figured out what we want to do.
We have several appointments coming up in San Diego the next 2 weeks. We have another EKG on Thursday with Dr. Levy of Kaiser San Diego. We also have an appointment with a Perinatalogist next Tuesday to discuss birth plans and other stuff. On that day we will also meet with Heart Surgeon Peter Pastuszko of Children's Hospital of San Diego who is Dr. Lamberti's associate. Hopefully by next week we will have a vision of both options for baby Travis.
Nicole and I our really having a difficult time deciding between Children's Hospital in Los Angeles or San Diego.
How do you make such a tough decision with so many unknowns?